Re: Debugging .mex files (Windows)

From: gOS
Subject: Re: Debugging .mex files (Windows)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 07:11:55 -0700 (PDT)

Michael Goffioul-2 wrote:

> The link step is missing the debug flag (needed under MVSC, not
> with gcc). So it seems there's a bug in mkoctfile.exe. For the time
> being, you can run the link step manually (the "link" command)
> and add the flag "-debug".

I've tried doing this in the Visual Studio 2005 Command Prompt, but I've
been unsuccessful. I'm very much the novice when it comes to this.

I tried:

In octave: mkoctfile --mex -g -c dlmread.cpp

In VSPrompt: link /DEBUG /OUT:dlmread.mex

among other commands all of which did not work, or specifically failed to
use the debug flag.

Perhaps I've misunderstood what you are suggesting. I looked through
mkoctfile.cc.in for more hints as to what might be going on...

-g does this:

                        vars["ALL_CFLAGS"] += " -g";
                        vars["ALL_CXXFLAGS"] += " -g";
                        vars["ALL_FFLAGS"] += " -g";

If thats all that happens, then it makes sense that the \DEBUG flag is never
included for compiling.

Command "mkoctfile --mex -g -c dlmread.cpp" produces dlmread.o and vc80.pdb.
What is the link step specifically?