Re: Problem with Octave-2.9.14

From: Rajkiran
Subject: Re: Problem with Octave-2.9.14
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:07:47 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

        I've set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the directory
containing liboctave.so etc. and it works fine. However, when
I look at the 'path' variable, it does not load the paths of
directories that contain m-files that come with octave source
distribution. Where should I make the appropriate changes ?

Thanks,
Rajkiran

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, John W. Eaton wrote:

> Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:16:36 -0400
> From: John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
> To: Tom Holroyd <address@hidden>
> Cc: Rajkiran <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Problem with Octave-2.9.14
>
> On  3-Oct-2007, Tom Holroyd wrote:
>
> | Try adding . to your PATH.
> |
> | $ PATH=${PATH}:.
>
> If the following is accurate, then I think the problem is something
> else:
>
> | > [~/Installs/octave-2.9.14/bin]$./octave-2.9.14 -v
> | > GNU Octave, version 2.1.50 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).
>
> note the ./octave-2.9.14, but version reports 2.1.50.  So it seems to
> be picking up the wrong libraries.  The Octave executable is just a
> very small file that calls octave_main.  Everything else, including
> the version function, is in liboctinterp, liboctave, libcruft, other
> dependent libraries, and .oct files.  So depending on how the
> libraries are linked and the dynamic linker configuration or the value
> of LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or, I guess PATH on Windows systems if I remember
> correctly that it searches for DLLs in the PATH) linking to the wrong
> libraries at run-time could cause this behavior.
>
> jwe

                        RAJKIRAN PANUGANTI
        DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
        www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~panugant/index.html
572, Stinchcomb Drive,                          474 Dreese Laboratories
Apt#6                                           2015, Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43201-1277                         Columbus, OH 43210-1277
Phone: 614-330-9124                             Phone: 614-292-7036