Re: Problem with Octave-2.9.14

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problem with Octave-2.9.14
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:16:36 -0400

On  3-Oct-2007, Tom Holroyd wrote:

| Try adding . to your PATH.
|
| $ PATH=${PATH}:.

If the following is accurate, then I think the problem is something
else:

| > [~/Installs/octave-2.9.14/bin]$./octave-2.9.14 -v
| > GNU Octave, version 2.1.50 (i686-pc-linux-gnu).

note the ./octave-2.9.14, but version reports 2.1.50.  So it seems to
be picking up the wrong libraries.  The Octave executable is just a
very small file that calls octave_main.  Everything else, including
the version function, is in liboctinterp, liboctave, libcruft, other
dependent libraries, and .oct files.  So depending on how the
libraries are linked and the dynamic linker configuration or the value
of LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or, I guess PATH on Windows systems if I remember
correctly that it searches for DLLs in the PATH) linking to the wrong
libraries at run-time could cause this behavior.

jwe