Re: Comments on the Mac installation instructions on the wiki

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Comments on the Mac installation instructions on the wiki
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 10:14:24 -0400

On Apr 14, 2007, at 4:57 AM, David Bateman wrote:

Thomas Treichl wrote:

- Who is interested to host MacOSX binary on server? OctaveForge?

Sure, why not host it on sourceforge, though I have two concerns

1) All binary releases of GPL code must have available all of the source code needed to rebuild them. So you'll need a source code bundle ideally
 available from the same location as the binary itself. I'm not sure
what sourceforge policy is on distributed such bundles particularly for
programs like Octave with lots of external dependencies, its likely to
be rather large (if rarely downloaded)....

You just need to include the build scripts in admin/osx.

I think we are safe listing the external package dependencies and
versions.  Otherwise we would have to include the tarballs
aquaterm, gnuplot, etc. and all of their dependencies freetype,
libpng, etc., plus the nonstandard build tools (readline, bison, ...).
You would need to include gcc as well since gfortran is not part
of the distributed operating system.  And octave of course.  Oh, and
we would need to update all of these for each octave-forge release.
We don't need to include Darwin sources though :-)

        - Paul