Re: QtOctave for windows and questions

From: Nicolas Pettiaux
Subject: Re: QtOctave for windows and questions
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:26:18 +0100

2007/3/14, Steve C. Thompson <address@hidden>:
On Wed, 2007-03-14 at 19:59 +0100, Michael Grossbach wrote:
> But what's the use of a GUI to Octave anyway?

I agree with your line of reasoning.  However, it seems like 90%
of the Matlab users I encounter say: does Octave have a GUI like
Matlab?

I've shown them a screen shot of Kate, with Octave running in
Kate's build-in lower panel command line, displaying a plot,
etc., and that looks somewhat familiar too them.  But I think a
big sticking point for many Matlab users switching to Octave is a
GUI.

Personally, I run Octave in Konsole, edit m-files with Vim, and
see no need for a GUI.  But for greater adoption, a big fat and
feature-rich Octave GUI would be an asset for the project.

Unfortunately, I must agree; that is : "even if I think this makes
little real sense, I also think a big sticking point for many Matlab
users switching to Octave is a
GUI." (at least this is a remark I get from the students I push to use
octave instead of matlab)

Si thanks to the author of qtoctave who helps in this way, that
simplify the adoption (indeed , simpler for many than using emacs or
vim or kate or scite or ... as editors that they would have to learn,
and then run octave separately)

Another way, is to run octave with many other tools throught the very
nice interface provided by SAGE that mimics the mathematica one (as
far as I have been told, because I do not use mathematica)

Nicolas
--
Nicolas Pettiaux - email: address@hidden