Re: eps Toolkit - ftell that returns a scalar? was Re: subplot

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: eps Toolkit - ftell that returns a scalar? was Re: subplot
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:38:44 -0700

on 1/18/06 12:14 AM, address@hidden at address@hidden wrote:

> If anybody maintains a "How to compile Octave on OS X for Dummies" page,
> I would like to read it.  If it isn't too complex me, I may have a go at
> compiling the next Testing release, or maybe even the current
> Development release.

Neil,

I concur in your need. In the past there was a wiki page

  http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac

but it is now clearly out of date.

I just compiled octave-2.1.72 and octave-forge on my OS X 10.3.9 with g77
from HPC, and discovered the latest tricks, thanks to help from this list
and the Apple unix-porting list. (You need to set LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib
-lcc_dynamic" before you configure in order for the loader to find restFP
and saveFP. You then configure with the usual --enable-shared
--disable-static stuff.)

The problem is that I don't know if this trick works for OS X 10.4.x, and
I've heard rumors of problems with Fortran compilers and OS X 10.4. I have
also built octave-2.1.72 with gfortran and g95, just as a test. The same
LDFLAGS trick is necessary, but you add F77=/usr/local/bin/g95 or whatever
to the configure line for the other Fortran compilers.

Note that historically, Apple's first few releases of a new OS configuration
(e. g. 10.4) cripple the open source make files. Maybe when we get to OS X
10.5 or so, things will work again (or someone will modify the make files to
work with Apple's latest quirks).

My thought is that octave-2.1.72 will probably build with OS X 10.4.x with
the above trick and g95, but I'm not about to upgrade my OS in order to find
out. My octave is working too well to break it (and several other apps)
intentionally.

Joe