Re: save function

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: save function
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:29:25 +0100

>octave> a = [1 2 3];
>octave> b = [4;5;6];
>octave> save -ascii both a b
>octave> save -ascii just_a a
>
>$ cat both
># Created by Octave 2.1.64, Tue Mar 08 15:36:56 2005 GMT
><address@hidden>
># name: a
># type: matrix
># rows: 1
># columns: 3
>  1 2 3
># name: b
># type: matrix
># rows: 3
># columns: 1
>  4
>  5
>  6
>
>$ cat just_a
>  1 2 3

I would like this behaviour a lot.  I understand it is incompatible, but
I think it is worth the inconvenience.

The reason why it is worth the inconvenience is that an incompatible
behaviour is a problem when it breaks a program, not when it breaks
interactive behaviour, and I think that programs don't normally rely on
a saved ascii file with a single variable to contain the name of the
variable: if a program saves a single variable for reading it
afterwards, it is likely to save it in binary format, nad moreover it is
likely to use a for the file the same name of the variable.

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 313 8091