Re: save function

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: save function
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:47:44 -0500

Try dlmwrite from octave-forge.  Use a delimiter of ' ' because the
default is ','.

- Paul

On Mar 6, 2005, at 7:31 PM, Mike Miller wrote:

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

You can save multiple variables in the same file. Load will load all of the variables, either into the current namespace using 'load file' or into the elements of a structure using 's = load file'.

That is a reason to have the feature, but it is not a reason to impose it on all users for every data file they save. We often create data files in octave to be imported into other programs. It would be very nice if we could save in ascii format without the header lines. Something like this would do:

  `-ascii2'
        save the data as plain text without Octave header information

Haven't we had a lot of questions/complaints that would be resolved by the addition of this feature?

Maybe this would work only for 2-d arrays (matrices), but that is often the sort of thing we are trying to save: Table data where rows are records and columns are fields. Octave save -ascii does what we want except that it has those extra initial lines that must be removed by some external program before we can use the data.

Mike