Re: algebraic manipulator in octave

From: Willem Atsma
Subject: Re: algebraic manipulator in octave
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:06:22 +0100

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:20:04 -0500, "Paul Kienzle"
<address@hidden> said:

> On Feb 21, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Arnau Mir wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Can I use octave as algebraic manipulator?
> > For example, can I make with octave the following:
> >
> > a x^2+b x+c=0
> >
> > and octave responses a solution as a function of a,b c?

If you are restricting yourself to polynomials, you should be able to do
with extracting the coefficients and simple derivative math. Have a look
at sym2poly and poly2sym and perhaps symfsolve.

I once thought I might start on a more generic solver for polynomials but
found an easier solution.

Willem
Pinot's web  ~  www.pinot.ca