Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:14:18 -0700

Nice tip Henry. I'll put it in my tips file.

On a related subject, is there an easy, quick way in Octave of reading
several side-by-side data columns into separate column vectors, i. e., from
an Excel spreadsheet? I recently resorted to placing

[t(i) x(i)] = fscanf(fileid,"%f%f","C");

inside a while loop with feof in order to read two columns of data.

Is there a way of reading column-by-column data without first reading the
entire data file into a single matrix, and then copying the columns (or
rows) of the matrix into separately named vectors? (This is, by the way,
what we resorted to with the MATLAB version of the data routine, which
couldn't understand the "C" option for fscanf.) I guess the easy-to-use
Excel and Kaleidagraph data import gui features have spoiled me.

Thanks for any advice.

Joe Koski