Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:12:49 -0600

On  5-Feb-2004, Henry F. Mollet <address@hidden> wrote:

| 4. Possible future use of BBEdit because it allows opening of a file in
| Hexdump (see below for first block). I have binary Systat file which I'd
| like to convert directly into octave data files one day. I was hoping that
| if I could look inside of a Systat binary file and inside of an Octave
| binary file, I might be able to "doctor" the Systat binary file so that
| Octave would be able to load (open) it.

Is the Systat data file format published somewhere?  Then perhaps
writing something that could read the Systat file and translate it to
something useful would be the way to go.

| However, you explained in a recent post why I cannot load binary files on my
| Mac, so there was no point even trying to doctor my Systat binary files:
|
| > From other posts, I seem to remember that you are using Mac OS X.
| > Perhaps the problem is due to an old bug in the C or C++ library on
| > that system that causes binary reads to report the wrong number of
| > bytes or the wrong status at EOF (I can't remember the precise details
| > of the bug, just that there was one -- maybe someone else remembers
| > more can provide additional information).

Presumably this bug will be fixed (I was under the impression that it
had, in a more recent version of the C or C++ libraries for OS X).

jwe