Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac

From: Miquel Cabanas
Subject: Re: Tip for loading Excel Spreadsheet into Octave on Mac
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:18:58 +0100

hi,

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 10:12:49PM -0600, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On  5-Feb-2004, Henry F. Mollet <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I have binary Systat file which I'd like to convert directly
> | into octave data files one day. I was hoping that if I could
> | look inside of a Systat binary file and inside of an Octave
> | binary file, I might be able to "doctor" the Systat binary
> | file so that Octave would be able to load (open) it.
>
> Is the Systat data file format published somewhere?  Then perhaps
> writing something that could read the Systat file and translate it to
> something useful would be the way to go.

once more, google helps to find some answers. Searching for
"systat file format" returns one page

http://www.salford-systems.com/faq-systatf.html

containing two files of "legacy SYSTAT file reader source" code,
both in Fortran and C. I guess the later should be easier to
interface to Octave.

There is also a program called "DataLoad" by David Baird available at,

http://www.american.edu/academic.depts/cas/econ/gaussres/utilitys/dataload.htm

that reads Systat files and is able to save in several formats,
unfortunately. Beware that, although it is distributed at no cost,
this program is not open source. The original web page mentioned
in R mail list does not seem to be available as of now,

http://www.vsn-intl.com/genstat/downloads/datald.htm

Hope this helps,

Miquel

--