Re: installation on windows 98

From: Roberto Hernández
Subject: Re: installation on windows 98
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:08:08 -0300

Jose,

I have two possible suggestions:

1. There's a new Windows version at http://members.localnet.com/~tomcw/. I
haven't tried it yet, but maybe that'll fix your problem.

2. The install file you have does not work on computers with non-English
versions of Windows. This is because of a batch file, specifically
"setup.bat". Basically some part of it has to determine the current
directory, which is by no means a simple task with batch files. This is
accomplished by a pretty creative file named "Directory.bat" which is
English-specific.

    When I ran into this problem I downloaded
"octave-windows-2000oct25c.exe" from SourceForge, modified the parts that
didn't work and re-created an install file which worked for me. I have a ZIP
file with all the modifications I made. It should work for any language and
should also solve the problem Tom mentioned in his post. If you decide for
this, just write me and I'll mail you the ZIP file (I don't know whether
attatchments are allowed on this mailing list), it's only about 6Kb.

Hope that works for you.

Roberto