Re: Wavelab (Was: save/load structured data?)

From: David L. Donoho
Subject: Re: Wavelab (Was: save/load structured data?)
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:18:38 -0700

However, the big problem is that wavelab is not open source.
It's under a "not for commercial use" licence which is
a real pain. I suspect that linking wavelab *oct files
is not GPL-ok. I'm not sure what the rules for *.m files
are - my understanding is that jwe does not interpret
this as linking under the GPL, so running Wavelab *.m
files is ok - except if you don't work in academia,
in which case you are doing "commercial use"!

Hi, I was the originator of wavelab.

I have given permission to several people to translate
wavelab into other formats, and it is the basis of
several commercial products. So I guess I don't understand this
complaint.

First, the library is open source in the most
fundamental sense that anybody can look at
all the source 24/7.

Second,  If someone were contemplating to spend the hours
it might take to convert to octave -- there are
graphics conversion issues they might have to face -- they could send
me an e-mail, and I could discuss it with them beforehand,
which might save them a lot of work. It's not necessarily
bad to have to talk to a program's author before beginning
a port.

Third, I'd like to have an octave version of wavelab to play with for myself,
so I'd be unlikely to refuse reasonable requests.

Fourth, I personally can't put the thing under GPL because
of certain rights of others which I have to check with
on a case-by-case basis. If GPL had been more established
when I got started with this (1991) then I would have been
more in tune with these things at the time it would have mattered.

Dave