Wavelab (Was: save/load structured data?)

From: adler
Subject: Wavelab (Was: save/load structured data?)
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 20:35:00 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Water Schmeder wrote:
> 1) I'm using WaveLab v802 for signal processing stuff... so far I have only
> used a few functions.  I have made several tweaks to the WaveLab files on an
> as-needed basis in order to get them to run properly -- mostly its really
> minor, peripheral stuff like loadpaths, graphics, etc.  I searched the
> mailing lists for info on Wavelab but came up pretty dry.  Wavelab is open
> source -- has anyone considered re-releasing a converted version which is
> Octave-compatible?  If not, would there be interest in this (besides my
> own)?

I've used wavelab a little under octave - it seems to work
well except for the graphics stuff and the *mex files.

There are *.m versions for each mex file, so that's not
a problem, although it would be interesting to see if
Paul Kienzle's octave/mex interface would work.

However, the big problem is that wavelab is not open source.
It's under a "not for commercial use" licence which is
a real pain. I suspect that linking wavelab *oct files
is not GPL-ok. I'm not sure what the rules for *.m files
are - my understanding is that jwe does not interpret
this as linking under the GPL, so running Wavelab *.m
files is ok - except if you don't work in academia,
in which case you are doing "commercial use"!

<RANT>
There is a tonne of great mathematical code out there
under this kind of ridiculous licence, which means that
the mathematical open source community is kept way behind
the rest of the OS world!
</RANT>

Andy Adler,                address@hidden