Re: (newbie) fractional arithmetic

From: Tony Roberts
Subject: Re: (newbie) fractional arithmetic
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:08:33 +1000

>Hello!  Short version: can Octave perform fractional arithmetic?  E.g.,
>     1
> x = -
>     9
>instead of 0.1111... as a floating double?
>If anyone can suggest a more appropriate solution for Linux besides
>shelling out for Mathematica, I'm all ears.

Use a computer algebra package instead.  Two free versions are MuPaD and
the demo version of reduce.  Get them from
http://www-math.uni-paderborn.de/MuPAD and
ftp://ftp.zib.de/pub/reduce/demo/linux/ respectively.

                                                Tony

 Professor A.J. Roberts
 Dept of Mathematics & Computing     E-mail: address@hidden
 University of Southern Queensland   Phone:  (07) 4631 2943
 Toowoomba, Queensland 4350          Fax:    (07) 4631 1775
 AUSTRALIA                 http://www.sci.usq.edu.au/staff/aroberts
I have a smoke free office and a Microsoft free computer---mail me no Word