Octave and Maxima (was: (newbie) fractional arithmetic)

From: Kevin Straight
Subject: Octave and Maxima (was: (newbie) fractional arithmetic)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:23:01 -0800 (PST)

And, at this point, I could mention that Goctave includes functions to
interconnect with Maxima.  (sorry, couldn't resist the chance for a plug)

The maxima() function, in particular, is a wrapper that lets you execute
lines of Maxima code from within Octave (althouh I admit its still a bit
rough)

If anyone's interested, check it out at:
http://kstraight.net/pub/functions/m

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Prasanth Kumar wrote:

> As an alternative to Octave is Maxima, a GPLd older version of
> Macsyma IIRC. It can do fractions and symbolic manipulations
> like Mathematica.

Kevin Straight
www.kstraight.net
University of Idaho