Re: Octave and Maxima (was: (newbie) fractional arithmetic)

From: Cederik
Subject: Re: Octave and Maxima (was: (newbie) fractional arithmetic)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 21:15:05 -0600 (CST)

Hi list:
        I had been hearded, that Macsyma (the free version of Maxima) is
for symbolic manipulation only and a more ore less non complex numerical
manipulation, so: is more comfordable install a version of Macsyma (about
4 MB the GZIPED 5.2 Version (Binary) Package) ? make some kind SH scripts
for the manipulation of the data and then use octave.
        I find not sense in the implementation beetwean the Macsyma and
octave, in that case i think that make The Octave owns High-Symbolic
Manipulation, and then make compatibility  with other Symbolic Languages.
I had Macsyma and i can make a lot of things, but when i have a numerical
problem i use Octave.

Regards ..

CD