Re: The future of Octave

From: David Doolin
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:04:20 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On  8-Dec-2000, David Doolin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Perhaps.  Maybe "core" could mean "what is implemented when jwe steps
> | down". Or it could mean what octave has now + sparse, or + a couple of
> | other things.
>
> This is the problem.  I'd say that if Matlab compatibility is critical
> to you and a few thousand other people, then you won't be able to stop
> on this list until you have everything, because you will all have some
> different pet feature that you simply must have in the "core".

Probably so.  I did buy matlab recently and really have no complaints.
I like how octave does some things better, but I need sparse and guide.
And I still use octave for everything I can.

> | This is not to say there isn't a useful core subset right now.  There is.
> | But it is enough to attract new octave users?
>
> Sure, but the ones coming from Matlab continue to want more Matlab
> compatible features.  Should we start a pool to bet on how long it
> will be before someone new to Octave posts a message saying that it is
> inconceivable that Octave doesn't have feature X from Matlab R12?

Well, people are going to say ths.  Let them.  Be nice to them.  Then
ignore them.  And continue doing it the way you want.  But definitly
take a vacation from octave. ;)

dave d