Re: The future of Octave

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: The future of Octave
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 00:03:58 -0600

On  7-Dec-2000, David Doolin <address@hidden> wrote:

| Either octave should try and maintain ("full") compatibility, or
| jettison the effort, burn the bridge and don't look back.

Hmm.  If you are on the side that says full compatibility is critical,
I guess we may have a burning bridge in between us.  :-)

| (By "full", I mean some useful core subset of the matlab language
| and function library.  I do not mean implementing guide,
| simulink, etc.)

Don't we already have some useful core subset?  And aren't people
constantly complaining that this or that favorite feature of theirs is
missing from Octave?  Isn't that likely to just continue to get worse
as more people start using whatever new features are in Matlab 6 and 7
and 8 and ...?

jwe