Re: plplot

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: plplot
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 08:46:09 -0400

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:06:12PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> At the end, octave still uses gnuplot !

You missed one crucial little detail in the docs: you have to make sure
Octave actually finds the plplot functions before it gets to those for
gnuplot.

You might want to borrow the trick Rafael implemented for the Debian
package: use_plplot() is a function which turns plplot "on" by prepending
the directory with the plplot functions to the "load_path". Likewise, it
turns plplot "off" by removing said directory.  Very clever, very easy to use.

> I spent a lot of time still for nothing !

(Please don't misunderstand, I don't want to turn this into a
distro-flamewar.)

Debian can save you a lot of time. Among the > 4000 packages are hundreds
with numerical software no other distribution includeds.

Even if you prefer other distros, or if your administration forces you to
use others, the Debian sources (on any source mirror near you) contain
valuable resources too.

(Again, don't flame me for mentioning my preferred distribution. I also
failed to install plplot a few years back before it became a Debian package.
I'd simply like to share my thoughts on why Debian "scales" better.)

Luck,  Dirk

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.