Re: plplot

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: plplot
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:32:01 -0400

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 10:27:55AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> have anyone ever succeeded in installing PLPLOT under octave 2.0.16 ?
> I found the INSTALL file very difficult to understand and obviously
> incompatible with an easy installation on my 2.0.16. I would love some
> help.

What is your platform?  Debian includes an octave-plplot package [1] which
is maintained by Rafael Laboissiere [2]. You might want to talk to him. I
don't use this regularly, but I just tried

        octave:1> use_plplot
        octave:2> plot(randn(100,1))

which worked fine on my Debian laptop which is running 2.0.16.91.

Dirk

[1] This is just one among a couple of additional Octave packages in Debian.

[2] Here is the record

Package: octave-plplot
Version: 0.3-8
Section: math
Maintainer: Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden>
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libjpeg62, libstdc++2.10, libtiff3g, libxpm4, libz1,
plplot, tcl8.0 (>= 8.0.4), tk8.0 (>= 8.0.3) | tkstep8.0, xlib6g (>= 3.3.5),
plplot (>= 4.99j-7)
Recommends: octave (>= 2.0.13.93)
Architecture: i386
Filename: dists/frozen/main/binary-i386/math/octave-plplot_0.3-8.deb
Size: 129602
MD5sum: 2255c9ba29cfdf71d3e9f3c3732c3061
 This package enables you to use PLplot from within Octave.  When this
 package is installed, many plotting function of Octave's core have
 PLplot counterparts.  The user can switch between both libraries with
 the function `use_plplot'.
 .
 Using it instead of the regular gnuplot interface, you have the
 following advantages:
 .
   - Use a superior plotting package, having access to dozens of
     plotting commands, enabling you to customize your plots at your
     will.
 .
   - Still use the same plot commands that you are familiarized, if you
     really want to.
 .
   - Have some new and long waited plotting command scripts.
 .
 Besides having access to all PLplot API commands, and all Octave usual
 commands, some with some improvements, new commands are
 available. They are: autostyle, ginput, gtext, legend, cmap, pldef,
 save_fig, set_view, shade, stripc, stripc_add, stripc_del, tdeblank,
 text, xticks, and zoom.
installed-size: 555

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless.