mouse support in gnuplot-3.8c

From: Phil Cummins
Subject: mouse support in gnuplot-3.8c
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:49:29 +0900

Hello,

   I just compiled and installed gnuplot-3.8c from:

    ftp://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/pub/gnuplot/

(Johannes Zellner was kind enough to make the tar file
available because I couldn't use CVS behind our firewall).
I was delighted to see that the mouse support seems to
work OK. However, I was disappointed when I wasn't able
to use it with gnuplot run through octave. The reason,
I think, is given in the gnuplot help:

> Mouse support is turned on by default if standard input comes from
> a terminal (tty). Mouse support is turned off, if standard input
> does not come from a tty e.g. a pipe.  If you want to use mouse support
> while writing to gnuplot from a pipe, the mouse must be turned on *before*
> starting the x11 driver, e.g. immediately after startup with the explicit
> command `set mouse`.  Beware: on some UNIX flavours, special input devices
> as /dev/null might not be `select-able`; turning on the mouse when using
> such devices will hang gnuplot.

Is there anyway to get this 'set mouse' command sent to gnuplot
when I use the plot command? Thanks,

- Phil Cummins