Re: octave sparse for 2.1.30

From: en254
Subject: Re: octave sparse for 2.1.30
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:32:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 11 May 2000, Dirk Laurie wrote:
> I've tried to do as you describe, with the following system:
>
> Red Hat Linux 6.2
> GNU Octave, version 2.1.30 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
> superlu_2.0.tar.gz
>
> Everything builds, but at the testing stage it says:
> undefined symbol: dtrsv_
>
> I added
>        $(S_CBLAS)/dtrsv.o
> to the target DZLAUX in the Makefile, and now I got:
>
> ------------
> Testing sparse functions ...
> octave -qf sp_test.m
> error: memory error
>
> Testing sparse solution for a Finite Element Model ...
>
> octave -qf fem_test.m
> Solving Finite Element sparse eqn, n=725 nnz=9085 density=0.017284
> Time per iteration= 0.164124 s
> Your machine is 27.113679 faster than mine!
> ------------
>
> Does "memory error" mean that 128MB is not enough for that example,
> or is it something more sinister?

First, the fact that fem_test runs and calculates the right
answer (it would complain if it didn't) means that most
sparse methods are working.

The memory error is comming from octave - not my code but
I wouldn't be suprised if it indicates a segfault ...

I'm at a loss to explain why you needed dtrsv.c in the C_BLAS.
Most of the BLAS functions provided with SuperLU are already
part of octave, and you only need to include a few of them.

Here is my octave build config.

RedHat 6.0
octave-2.1.30

  C compiler:           gcc  -mieee-fp -g -O2 -Wall
  C++ compiler:         c++  -mieee-fp -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions
-fno-implicit-templates -g -O2 -Wall
  Fortran compiler:     g77 -O
  Fortran libraries:     -lg2c -lm
-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/egcs-2.91.66
-L/usr/i386-redhat-linux/lib -lm
  Use GNU readline:     true
  Default pager:        less
  gnuplot:              gnuplot

  Do internal array bounds checking:       false
  Build static libraries:                  true
  Build shared libraries:                  true
  Minimal kernel option:                   true
  Dynamic Linking (dlopen/dlsym):          true
  Dynamic Linking (shl_load/shl_findsym):  false
  Include support for GNU readline:        true

Here are the build sizes of my functions
An:~/octave/sparse> ls -l libsuperlu.a make_sparse.oct
-rw-rw-r--   1 andy     andy       137908 May 11 23:18 libsuperlu.a
-rwxrwxr-x   1 andy     andy       129712 May 11 23:18 make_sparse.oct

Andy Adler,                               address@hidden

(PS. I've moved this discussion to help-octave since I don't
think that octave-sources is supposed to be for discussions)