Re: Considerations

From: Joao Cardoso
Subject: Re: Considerations
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:39:50 +0000

Emanuele Olivetti wrote:

> Hi,
> I'd like to promote a way to make Octave grow, using all the codes
> produced by Octave users. I make my own routine and some of
> them are good, so why not share it with every body? I can
> post my little work, but it is difficult to search it in
> future browsing Octave archives. In Mathworks site they
> have 'The Mathworks Download', a repository for m-files
> made by users, that offer their free contribution to a
> COMMERCIAL firm. I think that Octave can do the same
> excluding all commercial aspects, in a simple way making
> a browsable tree by category (and serchable index) of
> all routines made bye users like me. Then we can add a
> way to cast votes (to obtain better quality) and try to make
> free toolboxes if people want to co-operate in the same field,
> maybe opening sub-mailing-list, etc.

Some years (?!) ago someone has started that job, and it was available
at http://www.tsc.uvigo.es/GTS/Octave. For some reason it is not
maintained anymore, although a copy is available at
ftp://www.tsc.uvigo.es/pub/octave/.

Perhaps someone could (re)start from that point? I think that the
"someone" is always the problem... :-)

Joao

--
Joao Cardoso, INESC  |  e-mail:
R. Jose Falcao 110   |  tel:    + 351 2 2094345