Re: pass arguments to functions without ()

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: pass arguments to functions without ()
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:45:24 -0400 (EDT)

  Daniel> 2) How can I talk to gnuplot. I know gset, gplot, replot. Can I
  Daniel> pipe all the over commands as well?  e.g. "save" and whatever?

Piping is a good solution if you want to pass things to gnuplot which the
Octave parser doesn't swallow. For report-creating cronjobs, I wrote a couple
of .m files containing variations of the following:

  fid = popen("gnuplot", "w");
  if (postscript)
    printf("Creating a postscript graph in '%s'\n", graphfile);
    fputs(fid, "set terminal postscript\n");
    fputs(fid, sprintf("set output \"%s\"\n", graphfile));
  endif
  fputs(fid, "set timefmt \"%Y%m%d\"\n");
  fputs(fid, "set xdata time\n");
  fputs(fid, "set format x \"%m/%y\"\n");
  fputs(fid, "set data style lines\n");
  fputs(fid, "set nokey\n");

  pclose(fid);

If you use gnuplot pre3.6, you can even pass the data via the pipe and can
skip writing data to a tmpfile. See help on 'datafile' under the help for
'plot' within gnuplot.

--
mailto:address@hidden              According to the latest official figures,
http://rosebud.ml.org/~edd      43% of all statistics are totally worthless.