Re: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 23:47:25 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:35:14 -0500
> Cc: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 22:28 -0800, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:
> > I just want to make double sure, can anybody tell me there is anything
> > wrong with this (I want to append the list to the file, and the reason
> > why I can't just echo everything, is that this is Windows and there is
> > command line length limitation, and the list can exceed that).
> >

> > $(foreach item, $(very_long_list), $(shell echo $(item)>>foobar.txt))
>
> Hi Mark; I'm not really sure what your question is.
>
> If the question is, is there some expected/anticipated way that this
> could give the behavior you're seeing, then the answer is "no".
>
> Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.  Is it possible there's a bug
> in the GNU make implementation on Windows which is causing this problem?
> Sure, bugs happen.  Is it possible there's some behavior of Windows
> itself that's causing this behavior that we're not aware of?  Sure,
> that's possible as well.

I would need a reproducible test case to look into this, to see
whether it's a Windows-specific issue.

Mark, what is the shell that gets invoked by the $(shell) function,
and do you have some echo.exe (e.g., a ported GNU version) somewhere
along your PATH?

(We should probably move this to make-w32.)