Re: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 16:35:14 -0500

On Thu, 2011-02-24 at 22:28 -0800, Mark Galeck (CW) wrote:
> I just want to make double sure, can anybody tell me there is anything
> wrong with this (I want to append the list to the file, and the reason
> why I can't just echo everything, is that this is Windows and there is
> command line length limitation, and the list can exceed that).
>

> $(foreach item, $(very_long_list), $(shell echo $(item)>>foobar.txt))

Hi Mark; I'm not really sure what your question is.

If the question is, is there some expected/anticipated way that this
could give the behavior you're seeing, then the answer is "no".

Beyond that I don't know what to tell you.  Is it possible there's a bug
in the GNU make implementation on Windows which is causing this problem?
Sure, bugs happen.  Is it possible there's some behavior of Windows
itself that's causing this behavior that we're not aware of?  Sure,
that's possible as well.