desperate situation with $(shell ... :(

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: desperate situation with $(shell ... :(
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:28:16 -0800

I have asked this question before, in an isolated example, and Paul said this
is no problem what I am doing, but...  I have rare, impossible to reproduce,
yet universally fatal failures...  I just want to make double sure, can anybody
tell me there is anything wrong with this (I want to append the list to the
file, and the reason why I can't just echo everything, is that this is Windows
and there is command line length limitation, and the list can exceed that).

$(foreach item, $(very_long_list), $(shell echo $(item)>>foobar.txt))

What I see in those rare unreproducible failures, is that some random element
of in the middle of the very long list does not get appended to the file...

The reason why I don't post this to the Windows GNU make list, is, seems to me,
either I am not understanding how foreach, or shell, work, or if not, then
there is a problem with my understanding of Windows, but not, the problem with
my misunderstanding of Windows GNU make.

Mark