Re: directory search fails!

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:59:50 -0400

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:41:45 -0400
>
> > No, he has a point here.  Using different, though synonym, words for
> > the same entity runs the risk of confusing the reader.
>
> This isn't an entity, it's an action.

Well, action is also an entity, on some level ;-)

> In the larger picture it seems to me that the manual would be the poorer
> and much less pleasant to read without its current style...

And I would agree.  But this section is special: it tries to be a
formal description of an algorithm.  Formal descriptions should IMO be
exact, even if that makes them less "lively".

> But I'm not
> comfortable with removing all the "interesting" text and reducing it to
> "See Dick Run"-style content.

I didn't mean to suggest that in general for the whole manual.
There's a fine balance to strike here, and in any case I was talking
only about the specific subsection we were discussing.