Re: directory search fails!

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:21:49 -0400

On Sun, 2010-09-26 at 20:32 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> > Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 09:26:57 -0400
> >
> > The concern I have about this is that it describes directory search as
> > an operation that happens on prerequisites, but that's not how make
> > works.  Make does the directory search on targets.
>
> That's true, but (a) I wasn't the one who started talking about
> prerequisites in that section,

I didn't say you could avoid mentioning prerequisites altogether: you
can't (or at least I think if you do you'll be leaving out important
concepts).

> and (b) the details of the algorithm are really important only when
> the target is a prerequisite of some other target.

Obviously this depends on what you define to be "the details", but I
don't think that's so: certainly it's important to know that even if you
run "make a", so that "a" is not a prerequisite of anything else, if "a"
can be found via directory search then this algorithm is in effect and
the details of how it works DO make a difference.