Re: directory search fails!

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: directory search fails!
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 09:41:45 -0400

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 09:59 -0400, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> > Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:02:11 -0400
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > > Besides you wrote locate is a verb equivalent to "to find", why you
> > > did not use 'find' instead of 'locate'?
> >
> > For the same reason I didn't use any of the other synonyms of "find".
>
> No, he has a point here.  Using different, though synonym, words for
> the same entity runs the risk of confusing the reader.

This isn't an entity, it's an action.  Even so, if I felt that it was
some sort of term of art I would reuse it consistently.

But this is just a simple verb.

In the larger picture it seems to me that the manual would be the poorer
and much less pleasant to read without its current style... I know I've
had many people suggest they enjoyed reading this manual precisely
because it was _not_ clinical and boring but rather had a sense of
literacy.  I'm sure that's not true of every part of the manual and much
of it (most likely the parts I wrote) could be improved.  But I'm not
comfortable with removing all the "interesting" text and reducing it to
"See Dick Run"-style content.

However, I do acknowledge that the "interesting" text could make it more
difficult to read for people not as familiar with English.