debugging parallel make

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: debugging parallel make
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 02:05:51 -0500

is there an easy way to get some sort of log which clearly shows what commands (but not their outputs) are running at the same time during each part of a parallel make job?

I have something which fails to build with 'make -j2' but is fine with 'make'. I'm suspicious that there is an intermediate file which is used by more than one job at the same time and they corrupt each other but I'm having a hard time understanding exactly whats going on.

I'm looking for something along the lines of

[slot1] cc -c file1.c
[slot2] cc -c file2.c
[slot2] cc -c file3.c
[slot1] cc -c file4.c

where the [slot1] and [slot2] indicate which job slot is being fed a command. In this example I'd see that file1 and 2 are initially being compiled and then when 2 finishes, file3 is being compiled. then file1 finishes and file4 starts. I haven't figured out how to get this from make.

Thanks
-Dan