Re: debugging parallel make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: debugging parallel make
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:35:00 -0500

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 11:08 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
> > so is there any other way to figure out what commands are being run at
> > the same time vs. sequentially?
>
> i suppose if I could somehow get out a dependency graph I may be able
> to visually pick out where my bug is.
>
> Part of the problem I'm faced with is I have some of my own rules but
> also a whole bunch of automake rules and I can't claim I fully
> understand all of the implied dependencies.

Well, automake rules are generally parallel safe (assuming a reasonably
recent version).  So, I would look at your rules, and also where your
rules intersect with automake rules (prerequisites, etc.)

Does enable the debugging mode help?  You can enable just the jobserver
debugging, without the rest, can help you see which things are being run
in parallel.  It might be a bit tricky to pick out things, but I think
all the info you need will be there.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us