Re: debugging parallel make

From: David Fang
Subject: Re: debugging parallel make
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:33:33 -0500 (EST)

so is there any other way to figure out what commands are being run at the same time vs. sequentially?

i suppose if I could somehow get out a dependency graph I may be able to visually pick out where my bug is.

Part of the problem I'm faced with is I have some of my own rules but also a whole bunch of automake rules and I can't claim I fully understand all of the implied dependencies.

Hi Dan,
Sorry if this comes late, but I haven't been checking this list very often. I often use 'pstree' to see what is running concurrently, say, after "make -j".

I recommend the version at http://www.thp.uni-duisburg.de/ftpdoc.html (pstree link) over the default linux pstree, which is (IMHO) ugly and uninformative.

Unfortunately, this only gives a single snapshot of the process subtree at the time of invocation, but it's better than nothing, and sufficient to catch long-running tasks.

HTH

Fang

David Fang
Computer Systems Laboratory
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Cornell University
http://www.csl.cornell.edu/~fang/
        -- (2400 baud? Netscape 3.0?? lynx??? No problem!)