Re: improvements for parallel makes ?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: improvements for parallel makes ?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:02:26 -0400

Hi Alexey.

I need to read your email in more detail to understand the issue and
think about possible solutions.  Before that happens I can't say whether
or not the method you describe, which seems at first glance like a big
change both to the code and to some current behaviors, will be
accepted/acceptable.

So, if you would like to proceed with this work as a proof-of-concept
that's great, just so long as expectations are set properly.
Alternatively we can continue to have a conversation about it and maybe
come up with an alternative... or not.

I'm bogged down with some other things right now so it will take me a
week or so to spend the time necessary to think about this issue.

There is also a thread on a .WAIT proposal from last year on one of the
make mailing lists which discusses a number of scenarios.  You may have
already read that one.