Re: improvements for parallel makes ?

From: Alexey Neyman
Subject: Re: improvements for parallel makes ?
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 11:05:31 +0400

Cristophe,

Thanks for the interest in this feature. As you might have seen from
further discussion, this suggestion was turned down on the basis that
recursive builds are inherently flawed and therefore, GNU make won't
incorporate any feature to help those who maintain such builds.

I'd be glad to know that my conclusions are wrong, though. If there is
an interest from GNU make maintainers, I could update the patch to
apply to the current make version.

Regards,
Alexey.

On Monday 03 April 2006 19:48, Christophe LYON wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working in improving our build systems, which includes
using
> make -j.
> This turned out to show several badly written rules, but also cases
> where sequentiality is difficult to express.
> Looking for solutions to similar problems, I came across this
message,
> sent on this list:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2005-04/msg00087.html
>
> Are there any plans to support such features in future releases of
GNU