Re: improvements for parallel makes ?

From: Christophe LYON
Subject: Re: improvements for parallel makes ?
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 10:54:09 +0200

Boris Kolpackov wrote:
Alexey,

Alexey Neyman <address@hidden> writes:

Thanks for the interest in this feature. As you might have seen from
further discussion, this suggestion was turned down on the basis that
recursive builds are inherently flawed and therefore, GNU make won't
incorporate any feature to help those who maintain such builds.

I don't think that was the conclusion. I know Paul is thinking about
implementing .WAIT or something similar. I, however, think that .WAIT
approach is a bad way to do this. I think instead we should add another
type of prerequisite model which further relaxes the order-only one.

Hello,

I have read again the suggested Savannah bugs, and I agree with Boris: I don't see any negative conclusion about this .WAIT.

As a side note, I am participating in the distmake project (http://distmake.sourceforge.net -- I'm not the main maintainer though), which is basically a patch over GNU make 3.80, in order to distribute jobs on several machines.

I am also aware of the "Recurvise Make Considered Harmful" article (http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html), but it's a bit old now, and it's not always practicable to write Makefiles in a non recursive manner.

Anyway, when spreading make over several machines, you can easily use rather large values for -j, and it often exhibits errors.

A possible fix in some cases includes adding a recursive call to make (even with the same directory), so as to force sequentiality, but it's not elegant.

Alexey's proposal seemed nice to me.

Regards,

Christophe.