help-gnu-music

Re: Chord names without chords? And one other question.

From: Olaf Stetzer
Subject: Re: Chord names without chords? And one other question.
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:22:48 +0100 (MET)

On 13 Mar 2001, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Olaf Stetzer <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > damn, I should have tried lilypond earlier but now I am glad
> > that I found it!
>
> Thanks.
> Btw, why didn't you find it earlier?

Because I was somehow fixed to looking for a GUI-based program.
Then I tried denemo, looked at the output and had the impression
that is easier and faster to write the .ly files directly.
This happened exactly 3 days ago! :-)

> > Is there a possibility to print chord names over the staff without
> > the notes?
>
> Yes, if you look at input/test/jazz-chords.ly, you see:
>
>     \score {
>       \notes <
>         \context ChordNames \scheme     % <--- this is the chord names
>         %% \context Staff \transpose c'' \scheme  % <--- this is the notes
>       >
>       \paper {
>         \translator {
>           \ChordNamesContext
>           ChordNames \override #'word-space = #1
>           ChordNames \override #'style = #'jazz
>         }
>       }
>     }
>
> just don't put the chords on a Staff, you won't get notes.

Yes I got the idea. Still I dont know how to exactly combine
this in the best way with PinoStaff. After some experiments
I found out that only the combination of GrandStaff instead
of PianoStaff and the use of ChordNamesVoice instead of ChordNames
lead to what I wanted (chord names above the two piano staffs).

Some questions are left:

When I use GrandStaff and ChordNamesVoice what do I have to
to to get jazz style ChordNames? I tried a lot without success.

Do I have to use \ChordNamesVoiceContext instead of
ChordNamesContext to set the override to jazzstyle
(but i tried this too!)?

Maybe this is broken in the version I am using (current debian
package is 1.3.132 or 133)?

Additional the use of ChordNamesVoice lead to the problem that
the bar-numbers are typed higher than normal which looks not so
nice.

Thanks for the help,

Olaf

--   Olaf Stetzer  --  EC/JRC/Institute for Transuranium Elements   --
-   email to: address@hidden   or   address@hidden   -
-            concerning debian GNU/Linux: address@hidden         -
--      "Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny."  Frank Zappa      --