help-gnu-music

Re: Chord names without chords? And one other question.

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Chord names without chords? And one other question.
Date: 13 Mar 2001 21:06:17 +0100

Olaf Stetzer <address@hidden> writes:

> damn, I should have tried lilypond earlier but now I am glad
> that I found it!

Thanks.
Btw, why didn't you find it earlier?

> Is there a possibility to print chord names over the staff without
> the notes?

Yes, if you look at input/test/jazz-chords.ly, you see:

    \score {
      \notes <
        \context ChordNames \scheme     % <--- this is the chord names
        %% \context Staff \transpose c'' \scheme  % <--- this is the notes

      \paper {
        \translator {
          \ChordNamesContext
          ChordNames \override #'word-space = #1
          ChordNames \override #'style = #'jazz
        }
      }
    }

just don't put the chords on a Staff, you won't get notes.

> Second, because I have two voices in the upper system the
> slurs (the ones which hold notes with ~ )
> tend to overlap with the notes of the other voice.

(We call this thing a Tie)

> Is there a possibility to set a directive for these like for the
> stems, so they alway go up when the second voice is below?

For Ties ~ set the Tie.direction, for slurs (), set Slur.direction:

     \score {
      \context Staff \notes <
        \context Voice=one \relative c'' {
          \property Voice.Stem \set #'direction = #1
          \property Voice.Tie \set #'direction = #1
          %\property Voice.Slur \set #'direction = #1
          c8~c
        }
        \context Voice=two \relative c'' {
          \property Voice.Stem \set #'direction = #-1
          \property Voice.Tie \set #'direction = #-1
          %\property Voice.Slur \set #'direction = #-1
          a8~a
        }

      \paper { linewidth = 40*\staffspace; }
    }