help-gnu-music

Staff separation Was: Rotating latex

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Staff separation Was: Rotating latex
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:05:23 +0100

> A second problem:
> I need them to be vertically aligned.
> Therefore I insert them on rhythmic staffs like this:
>
>       \context RhythmicStaff = ra {
>               s2_"\\key C" s2_"\\T.."
>
>       }
>       \context RhythmicStaff = rb {
>               s2_"\\key G" s2_"\\s.."
>       }
>
>       \paper{
>           \translator {
>               \RhythmicStaffContext
>               \remove Staff_symbol_engraver;
>               \remove Time_signature_engraver;
>
>       }
>
> The problem is that the two rhythmic staffs overlap.
> I have tried
>       \property RhytmicStaff.StaffVerticalExtent = #'(-10.0 . 10.0)
> and
>       \property RhytmicStaff.RhythmicStaffVerticalExtent = #'(-10.0 . 10.0)
> but nothing happens.

The latter version is the correct one. However, you were unlucky in
you choice of context, since the RhytmicStaff contains the, so called,
Pitch_squash_engraver which sets all vertical coordinates to zero
(to get all notes on the single line).
If you add the line
         \remove "Pitch_squash_engraver";
everything should work as you expected. However, I'd probably use
a Lyrics staff instead.

> Generally, how do you set different engravers on different staffs?
> removing the paper block affects, as you know, ALL staffs...

That's unfortunately very clumsy. In principle you have to define
a new context type with a separate \name and add it to the
context hierarchy with an \accepts line. See for example
input/test/tab-staff.ly

    /Mats