help-gnu-music

[Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.

From: Martin Ellis
Subject: [Help-gnu-music] Bagpipe Music.
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:50:19 GMT0BST

Hello,

I've tried doing pipe music as well.  I found it useful to create
bagpipes.ly, which is attached.  It redefines the notes so that all
the notes are referenced by their letter, except left hand g and a,
which are g' and a'.

So the scale runs a b c d e f g' a

I have also defined common gracenotes to be included, such as the
taorluath, \taor.  Other gracenotes can be included by typing the
notes that are actually shown followed by 'g' (for gracenote).  For
example gg for a g gracenote, or lgg for low g gracenote.

Voice.fontSize reduces the size of the gracenotes.  (Though not as
much as I'd like).  I'd like to see if it's possible to increase the
lengths of the stems, as they should normally be above the rest of
the staff.

God knows why stemStyle = "" doesn't stop the
slashes through single gracenotes.

Another problem I have had is this :
\dblf f2.( )f4
The slur (or tie, or whatever these musical types call it :) ) goes
from the first note of the gracenote, but it should only join the two
'f's.

Can anyone tell me how you're supposed to create a line break, I've
tried \break, but can't get it to work.  Below is of our bands
version of Flower of Scotland, which I have had little success in
typesetting.  I don't know if the 6/8, 9/8 alternation is confusing
things.

Hope I've sent the right versions of these files...

Suggestions, anyone?

Cheers
Martin Ellis

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\header
{
 title="Flower of Scotland";
}

\paper {
  linewidth = 14.0 \cm;
  indent = 0.0 \cm;
}
\include "bagpipes.ly"
\score {
  \notes { \time 6/8; \partial 4;
  \property Voice.tieVerticalDirection = \up
  \slurup
f4 |
\gg f4 e8 \thrd d4. |
\eg a4.()a4 d8 |
\gg d4 f8 \dble e4. ( | \nobreak
)e8 d4 \gg d4 e8 |

\break
\time 9/8;
\dblf f2.( )f4 d8 |
\time 6/8;
\dblg g'4 a'8 \gg a'4. |
\thrd d4.( )d4 \eg a8 |
\time 9/8;
\dble e4 \lag e8 \gg [e16 d8. e8] \gg f4 g'8 |

\break
\time 6/8;
\gg f4 e8 \thrd d4. |
\eg a4.( )a4 d8 |
\dblg g'4 a'8 \gg a'4. |
\thrd d4.( )d4 f8 |

\break
\dblg g'4 e4 \dblf [f8. e16] |
\thrd d4.( )d4 \cg d8 |
\gg c4 e8 \thrd d4.( |
)d4. \gdcg d4.
  }
}

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

> I've been through the doc's on-line and I'm still a bit confused.  I'm
> trying to enter music for the Great Highland Bagpipe (GHB).  Some
> differences between anything in the doc's and proper GHB music are:
>
> 1.    The grace notes need to be smaller than the melody notes.
> 2.    Grace note sequences that are beamed may appear within beamed
> melody note sets.  The beams for the grace notes must be seperate from
> the melody beams.
> 3.    Since the GHB has only 9 notes, relative note definition is a bit
> of a pain.  Is there a method of specifying absolute notes?
>
> Probably more to come later.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Jim Sabatke
> SuSE 6.3 Linux
> Kernel - 2.2.13
>
> "I don't know anything about this man. At least I know only two things; one
> is, he hasn't been in the penitentiary, and the other is [after a pause, and
> most sadly], I don't know why."  Mark Twain

\notenames #'(
        (g . ( 0 4 0 ))
        (a . ( 0 5 0 ))
        (b . ( 0 6 0 ))
        (c . ( 1 0 0 ))
        (d . ( 1 1 0 ))
        (e . ( 1 2 0 ))
        (f . ( 1 3 0 ))
)
gr = {
  \property Grace.fontSize = -2
  \property Grace.stemStyle = ""
}
taor = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g32 d g e]}}
grip = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g32 b g ]}}
thrd = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g32 d c] }}
birl = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g32 a g] }}
gstd = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 d g] }}
 lgg = \notes{ \grace { \gr g32 }}
 lag = \notes{ \grace { \gr a32 }}
 fgg = \notes{ \grace { \gr [f32 g'32] }}
dblb = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 b d] }}
dblc = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 c d] }}
dble = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 e f] }}
dblf = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 f g'] }}
dblg = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 f] }}
dbla = \notes{ \grace { \gr [a'32 g'] }}
cg   = \notes{ \grace { \gr c32 }}
eg   = \notes{ \grace { \gr e32 }}
gg   = \notes{ \grace { \gr g'32 }}
dg   = \notes{ \grace { \gr d32 }}
hag  = \notes{ \grace { \gr a'32 }}
gefg = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 e f] }}
efg  = \notes{ \grace { \gr [e32 f] }}
gdcg = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 d c]}}
gcdg = \notes{ \grace { \gr [g'32 c d]}}

\version "1.3.42";