help-gnu-music

[Help-gnu-music] How to typeset this?

From: Stefano Ghirlanda
Subject: [Help-gnu-music] How to typeset this?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:34:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hi everyone,
I would like to contribute to the Mutopia project with some guitar
music, but I have a major problem which I can't figure out how to solve in
mudela, and I couldn't find info on the mailing list archive or the
manuals and examples.

My first shot is JS Bach's Allemande from the lute suite BVW996. I attach
a jpeg of the first line. My problems start at the last quarter of the
first full measure. One plays e16 g b e' but without stopping the strings
so that in reality the notes' durations are e4 g8. b8 e'16. In the
attached score this is indicated by having a beamed group of 4 16th notes,
of which three notes are duplicated stem-down with the prolonged
durations. My question is: do I really need 4 voices in mudela to achieve
this? Can't I say "print e4 but advance only s16" in the bass voice? Or is
there any construct especially designed for this purpose?

It seems to me, but I might be wrong, that mudela assumes that a Voice is
a continuous stream without overlapping notes. This seems a very
reasonable assumption, but it is rarely the case for the
guitar (and lute and friends), where resonances of previously played notes
make an important contribution to the music.

I welcome suggestions of an alternative notation, but the attached ones
seems to me the standard way of doing that...

Thanks everyone for your help,
Stefano

Stefano Ghirlanda, Zoologiska Institutionen, Stockholms Universitet
  email: you know it already, tel: +46-8-164055, fax:+46-8-167715
 the free science campaign: http://ethology.zool.su.se/freescience