Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Sat, 30 May 2020 12:20:14 +0900

> On May 30, 2020, at 3:22, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:

>>>  imagined this would happen when the mode was turned on: it would run
>>>  down the file and insert markers that would be used to find
>>>  correspondences. Special characters could be inserted into the file
>>>  to indicate that two paragraphs should be joined, or one paragraph
>>>  split.
>>
>> What would be the use of such a marking ?
>
> A follow-mode, as I mentioned above.

Is such a mode in emacs ?

> And just finding my place. I do my
> translation in two sibling Org sub-trees, original and translation,
> displayed in two side-by-side windows. I don't want to mess with
> two-column-mode or anything like that.

:) I'm not sure anybody uses that anymore. But it must have been big when it
started because it get the F2 key assigned by default...

> I want to be able to go to the
> bottom of the translation, run a command, and have the second window
> display the corresponding original. If I realize I've done something
> wrong a couple of chapters previously, and I skip back up to that
> location in the translation, I want to run the same command to display
> the corresponding spot in the original.

I seem to remember a long discussion about bookmarks here or on devel a while
ago. Did you consider that ?

--
Jean-Christophe Helary @brandelune
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com