Re: gnats/gnatsweb problem

From: Moe Elzubeir
Subject: Re: gnats/gnatsweb problem
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 10:05:03 -0600

Okay, to answer your questions (quick response!). Yes, I did restart
inetd (kill -HUP). In fact, the machine was rebooted on an un-related
incident.

Yes, I am certain of the location of `gnatsd'. That is where Debian
keeps all gnats stuff (well, some of it, it likes to scatter it all
across the system which is really frustrating when you don't know how
they are put together).

/etc/services? Of course ;) Actually, since this is part of Debian's
auto-installation it did all of it. But, in any case here is the line:

---
support   1529/tcp      # GNATS
----

Ah, I used USERNAME ;)

I am not sure where `gnatsd.access' should go. I don't happen to have
one with the package installed (3.11...) of gnats. Hrmm. I grabbed one
put it in GNATS_ROOT/gnats-adm/ and it has something like

---
test:me:edit
---

The telnet session exact output is:

----
address@hidden:~]$ telnet localhost 1529
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to arabeyes.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
----

Thanks a lot.

>>> Yngve Svendsen <address@hidden> 11/10/01 04:47 AM >>>

In GNATS 3, send-pr, view-pr and edit-pr etc. all work directly against
the
database directory hierarchy and not through the network daemon. What is

failing here is the gnatsd daemon which serves requests from interfaces
such as Gnatsweb. A couple of things you should make sure of:
- Did you restart inetd after adding the gnatsd entry?
- Are you certain that gnatsd is located in /usr/lib/gnats/gnatsd?
- Did you add the 'support' entry in the /etc/services file?
- Did you say USER or USERNAME to 'make test'? The correct parameter is
USERNAME.
- The USERNAME and PASSWORD options refer to a valid password/username
combination from the gnatsd.access file ofyour database. Create suc a
username password combination and try again.

If you are still unable to connect after doing these things, you should
send the exact output from a telnet connection attempt to this mailing
list.

Hope this helps,

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer