Re: gnats/gnatsweb problem

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats/gnatsweb problem
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 11:46:59 +0100

At 20:09 09.11.2001 -0600, Moe Elzubeir wrote:
Hello,

I have been trying to setup gnats for awhile now. I have successfully
set gnats so I can submit reports, view them, edit them, etc. However, I
haven't been able to set gnatsweb to work with it at all.

I am running gnatsd through inetd, here is the line:
--
support   stream  tcp nowait  gnats /usr/lib/gnats/gnatsd gnatsd
--

in my /etc/inetd.conf

I tried to run 'make test USER=whome PASSWORD=mypass DATABASE=somedb',
but that failed too and gave me the same message first discussed on the
TROUBLESHOOTING file. I tried to telnet to port 1529 but to no avail
(didn't accept the connection).. This attempt (telnet) is from the same
machine running gnatsd (supposedly) and the web server.

I think the problem (other than not being able to connect to port 1529)
is that i'm not sure what the 'username' and 'password' refer to. Is
this the user I created for gnats when I first installed it? The one
defaulting to uid,gid:41 ?

I really would appreciate your help.

In GNATS 3, send-pr, view-pr and edit-pr etc. all work directly against the database directory hierarchy and not through the network daemon. What is failing here is the gnatsd daemon which serves requests from interfaces such as Gnatsweb. A couple of things you should make sure of:
- Did you restart inetd after adding the gnatsd entry?
- Are you certain that gnatsd is located in /usr/lib/gnats/gnatsd?
- Did you add the 'support' entry in the /etc/services file?
- Did you say USER or USERNAME to 'make test'? The correct parameter is USERNAME. - The USERNAME and PASSWORD options refer to a valid password/username combination from the gnatsd.access file of your database. Create suc a username password combination and try again.

If you are still unable to connect after doing these things, you should send the exact output from a telnet connection attempt to this mailing list.

Hope this helps,

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer