help-debbugs

Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Mail processing problem on debbugs?
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2020 20:37:01 -0600

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > What user needs to run the /usr/lib/debbugs/receive as?
>
> As "Debian-debbugs".

Gotcha.

Race condition! :@}

> >   /home/rwp/missing-messages/new/1585512393.2152_599.madness
> >
> > Should we try this?
>
> Sure, that is good one to use as a test.
>
> I noticed all files seem to be missing the leading envelope "From " line.
> Those are needed. See eg /var/lib/mailman/not-spam for examples of how
> the input files should look.

I looked at the receive script and I don't see where it actually uses
those mbox separator lines.  But that is a conversation for another
day.  They are trivially added back in with 'formail'.  For future
reference I think this would work.

  su -s /bin/sh -c 'formail < singlemessagefile | /usr/lib/debbugs/receive'
Debian-debbugs

However during the latest round I ended up using the list of message
ids and using grepmail from the large debbugs-submit.mbox file.

  grepmail -h -f missing-id-list debbugs-submit.mbox > messages-recovered.mbox
  # -h to search headers only
  # -f pattern list from file
  # this pattern file contains the full Message-Id: <...> line

I extracted the single test message into a separate mailbox.  Then
have run this command to send it to the receive script.

  su -s /bin/sh -c 'formail -s /usr/lib/debbugs/receive < testmessage.mbox'
Debian-debbugs

The actual command trail:

  debbugs:/var/lib/debbugs/spool/incoming# su -s /bin/sh -c 'formail -s
/usr/lib/debbugs/receive < /home/rwp/testmessage.mbox' Debian-debbugs
  debbugs:/var/lib/debbugs/spool/incoming# ll
  total 4
  -rw-r--r-- 1 Debian-debbugs Debian-debbugs 1868 Mar 29 22:30
IB.158553545316798

And so it did appear in that directory for a moment.  Then a moment
later it disappeared from the directory.  I see it in the web
archive.  Looks good!

> Then after a minute or so, a regular debbugs job should automatically
> operate on that incoming/ file and remove it. You should then see a new
> bug report has been created. We can delete it later (I like to wait for
> the next bug report to be created).
>
> If it works then please go ahead and operate on all the messages
> (looks like there are no ###-reopen ones included there).

That seemed to work.  Therefore I ran it across all of the other
messages.

  debbugs:/var/lib/debbugs/spool/incoming# su -s /bin/sh -c 'formail -s
/usr/lib/debbugs/receive < /home/rwp/messages-recovered.mbox' Debian-debbugs

That seemed to work.  I now wait to look to see the result.

Bob