h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] fields of observable group

From: Felix Höfling
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] fields of observable group
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 17:34:32 +0200

Am 30.08.2011, 16:39 Uhr, schrieb Peter Colberg <address@hidden>:

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 02:32:25AM -0400, Pierre de Buyl wrote:
Well, with this reminder, I consider that the actual naming scheme
is set for 0.1
Every plural is where it should be (parameters and observables).

Good thing you mention the parameters group:

I propose to drop this common name, and let a program use its
program name instead (e.g. “halmd”). A common name such as
“parameters” suggests that the group's structure is somewhat
standardized, which is not the case. More importantly, this avoids
the confusion of trying to resume with *parameters* written by a
different, incompatible program.

What do you think of this proposal?

I have one objection: it might be of advantage to have some parameters standardised, e.g., the box size. Otherwise, an H5MD reader could not retrieve the box size from an H5MD file without the trajectory group. (And the box volume is certainly an interesting quantity independent of the trajectory.)

Felix