h5md-user

Re: [h5md-user] graphical notation

From: Pierre de Buyl
Subject: Re: [h5md-user] graphical notation
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:41:19 +0200

Le 30 août 11 à 15:57, Felix Höfling a écrit :
Looking into "more usual", I can think of keeping the present notation for groups and datasets. Altough it does not make a distinction between the two, it has never posed a problem to me.
OK, a dataset can be identified as a leaf of the tree (once the attributes are distinguished).
Fine :-)

Regarding attributes, I agree that they should be denoted in a different way.
I propose
     trajectory
      \-- group1
           \-- position
           |    \-- sample
           |    |    +-- minimum
           |    |    +-- maximum
           |    \-- step
           |    \-- time
Or
     trajectory
      \-- group1
           \-- position
           |    \-- sample
           |    |    --- minimum
           |    |    --- maximum
           |    \-- step
           |    \-- time
that is, using "+--" or "---" for the attributes.

I prefer "+--", it provides still some connection to the line above. An alternative I was thinking about was to put the attributes at the same line as the dataset:

      trajectory
       \-- group1
            \-- position
            |    \-- sample --> minimum, maximum
            |    \-- step
            |    \-- time
The attributes on the same line makes it less readable, the "+--" is
adopted.

Shall optional attributes be enclosed in brackets? E.g.,

      trajectory
       \-- group1
            \-- position
            |    \-- sample
            |    |    +-- [minimum]
            |    |    +-- [maximum]
            |    \-- step
            |    \-- time
Excellent idea, it is a quite common notation.

Pierre