guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: Lars-Dominik Braun
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 10:39:33 +0100

Hey,

> I have heard folks in the Guix maintenance sphere claim that we never rewrite
> git history in Guix, as a matter of policy. I believe we should revisit that
> policy (is it actually written anywhere?) with an eye towards possible
> exceptions, and develop a mechanism for securely maintaining continuity of
> Guix installations after history has been rewritten so that we maintain this
> as a technical possibility in the future, even if we should choose to use it
> sparingly.

the fallout of rewriting Guix’ git history would be devastating. It
would break every single Guix installation, because

a) `guix pull` authenticates commits and we might lose our trust anchor
if we rewrite history earlier than the introduction of this feature,
b) `guix pull` outright rejects changes to the commit history to prevent
downgrade attacks.

Additionally it would break every single existing usage of the
time machine and thereby completely defeat the goal of providing
reproducible software environments since the commit hash is used to
identify the point in time to jump to.

I doubt developing “mechanisms” – whatever they look like – would
be worth the effort. Our contributors matter, but so do our users. Never
ever rewriting our git history is a tradeoff we should make for our users.

Lars